As an entrepreneur, you know that communicating your message effectively is crucial for success. With the rise of AI tools like ChatGPT and Jasper AI's templates, it's easier than ever to increase your output and reach your audience. However, the default tone of ChatGPT is quite formal and lacks personality, which can make your messages feel generic and impersonal.
In this article, we'll show you why it's important to define your tone of voice, and how it can benefit your business even when working with ChatGPT. Our PR and growth experts will share their advice on finding and activating your unique TOV, so you can create content that truly resonates with your audience.
Whether you're a startup, solopreneur or part of the creator economy, this article is a must-read for anyone looking to improve their PR success.
Kent Lewis, CMO at Deksia, emphasizes the importance of adding the human touch to ChatGPT's output. He advises:
"I believe ChatGPT's role is to aid in the research and organization of content, vs. as a replacement for copywriters. Used as a tool to enhance, rather than replace humans, ChatGPT offers the ability to quickly create draft copy, but it should always be augmented by business owners/marketers to ensure the voice is authentic and doesn't feel like it was generated AI. That also alleviates the need to worry about tone-of-voice or consistency across company collateral."
PR expert Emily Reynolds-Bergh, Owner at R Public Relations, emphasizes the exchange of ideas and information and the multiplier effect that comes with a network:
"The best way to define your tone of voice is to audit the content you’ve already produced. Brand consistency is extremely important, so your tone throughout social media, your website, your ads, your blogs, and your media relations should all be the same. Before plugging your prompt into any AI system, check out Albert Resources’ directory of words to define tone for the most accurate request."
The Ultimate PR Power List Get your hands on over 20,000 global journalist email contacts. 30% off with the code startupDEAL
Nathalie Tuck, PR Writer at Envoi, on AI-assisted content creation:
"AI generators are a great tool if used correctly. There are various ways you can use these tools that won’t see you being accused of plagiarism. Write your own content and use AI to refine or summarise it. Take pieces of content you have previously written and re purpose them or even combine two articles into one. If you are asking Chat GPT or another content generator to start an article of piece of content for you be sure to edit it afterwards and add in your own flavour and personality. Be very specific with your prompts in order to get closer to what you are looking for. The more detailed the better. If you are creating visual assets never request that an image look like a specific person, or piece of artwork as you might infringe on someone’s privacy or copywrite protections."
Define your Tone Of Voice (TOV) using ChatGPT:
1. Identify your brand personality: Before you can define your tone of voice, you need to know what your brand stands for. Ask yourself questions like: What are your brand values? How do you want your customers to perceive you? Are you funny, serious, or somewhere in between?
2. Define your target audience: Your TOV should be tailored to your target audience. Who are you trying to reach? What do they care about? What language do they use? Understanding your audience will help you create content that resonates with them.
3. Experiment with different prompts: ChatGPT can generate content in a variety of tones, from formal to conversational to witty. Experiment with different prompts to see what works best for your brand and audience. For example, you could try prompts like "write engaging content" or "write in a conversational tone."
4. Use examples: Once you've generated some content with ChatGPT, review it to see if it aligns with your brand personality and target audience. Look for examples of content that you like and dislike, and use them to refine your TOV.
5. Practice, practice, practice: Defining your TOV is an ongoing process. Keep experimenting with different prompts and reviewing your content to see what works. Over time, you'll develop a clear and consistent TOV that resonates with your audience and sets you apart from the competition.
With these simple steps, you'll be able to leverage the power of ChatGPT to create a unique tone of voice that resonates with your audience, setting you apart from the competition and driving PR success through engaging and impactful content.
Follow the latest PR hacks from our experts.
From mindset and strategy to leadership and innovation
Learn from the experts what images to include in your press kit